Last update: 21-02-2020
Sounter is an online technology platform that facilitates language learning through music, offering collaborative tools and top quality material for totally free students (that is, the use of the platform is free of charge). Sounter's goal is to Democratize education and get more than 1 billion people to learn other languages. The proposal is totally innovative since for learning we take advantage of the two most transversal resources of our current society: Music and technology, merging them into a fun methodology to keep students motivated. SOUNTER's vision is to train the new generation of polyglotas in the world in order to generate new opportunities for people. Both the applications available for Android and IOS devices and their web application are owned by Sounter, with home use in Ambato, Ecuador.
2. What type of personal data does Sounter collect?
Sounter will never use information for purposes other than those described in this policy and will always have the option to delete your account, as well as your data permanently when the user considers it.
We collect essentially three types of data:
- Data you choose to provide us.
- Data we collect automatically when you use our services.
- Data we receive from third parties.
2.1. Data you choose to provide us
To use the web or mobile application Sounter does not need to create an account to use the functions of our services, such as the search and display of letters and translations, the functions of listening, practicing and translating, in addition to accessing the entire section of contributing to Content improvement in a course. However, if you decide to create an account in Sounter and join our student community, you will have to provide some information: username, Email, Password, Facebook Access or Google Access:
We collect and store information about the contents of the course such as: synchronizations, the lyrics of the songs you upload, the translations shown or clicked, etc.). In addition, when you log in through your Facebook or Google account and according to your privacy settings on these social networks, your profile photo will automatically become the photo associated with your Sounter account. Sounter does not save, copy or scan that photo.
We also inform you that, by associating an account managed by a social networking website with your account and authorizing us to access such information, you agree that we may collect, use and save the data provided by these social networking websites in accordance With this Policy.
We may also use add-ons or other technologies from various social networking websites. If you click on a connection provided through a social media plug-in, a connection to the relevant social networks is automatically established.
External suppliers: we rely on external suppliers to manage payments, for example, when you buy a service or subscribe to Sounter. In this case, the service providers share with Sounter some payment information to help us manage them and ensure that you receive a service that complies with the Terms and conditions of use.
3. Data Processing and Use
Sounter processes and uses the data collected primarily for the following reasons:
- Manage your activity and provide (with improvements and customizations) the products you offer.
- Send communications concerning the course, including commercial communications.
- Allow the display of advertisements on the Sounter web pages and within the applications downloaded for free by the user.
3.1 User data will be processed for the following purposes:
- Development and improvement of our services to ensure that the course content is displayed in the most effective way for the user and the relevant device.
- Allow the user to participate in the functions of the Community offered by our services (synchronize, edit and translate the lyrics). This processing is necessary for the fulfillment of our contractual obligations and is carried out with the user's consent.
- Enable user profile customization. This processing is carried out with the user's consent.
- Comply with our obligations in accordance with any agreement concluded with the user and provide the information and services requested by the user. Such processing is based on compliance with our contractual obligations.
- Inform the user of any changes in our services. This processing is carried out to guarantee compliance with our legal obligations and to guarantee the exercise and defense of rights.
- Send, in accordance with applicable laws and, when necessary, with the user's consent, promotions and advice about our services in which the user may be interested. Such processing is based on our legitimate interest (which provides the user with important publicity) and / or the user's consent.
- Improve services and their use, as well as understand the effectiveness of the ads we promote to users by collecting data through cookies and similar technologies.
- Ensure compliance with any applicable law, general terms and conditions and personal data protection regulations. This processing is necessary to fulfill our contractual obligations and for the purposes of our legitimate interests, such as administrative or legal purposes or for fraud detection purposes.
3.2 How users can request data deletion?
1. Enter the application
2. Go to the profile section at the bottom of the main screen
3. Enter the configuration menu
4. Click on the "Delete account" button
5. Wait 10 seconds and read the warning carefully
6. Verify account by re-logging in with password or social provider.
7. Click on the delete account button
4. Transfer of personal data.
Sounter shares data globally with people who log in and share content worldwide. Data controlled by Sounter could also be transferred, transmitted or stored outside the EEA (European Economic Area), but in the case of data transfers, Sounter uses standard contractual clauses approved by the European Commission and based on adequacy decisions of the European Commission in relation to some countries, depending on the cases, for the transfer of data from the EEA to the United States and other countries.
5. Where the data is stored.
The data collected by Sounter is managed by Cloud Firestore, it is a flexible and scalable database for programming on servers, mobile devices and the Web from Firebase and Google Cloud Platform, for this the maximum protocols and measures for your security are executed.
6. Query, modification or deletion of data.
When the user of the service needs to consult, modify or delete their data, they can access from their "Profile" the option "Delete Account", in this way their account will be completely deleted as well as their stored data, these options are available both for the application as for the website. You can also contact us at the support email: email@example.com
So that we can provide a free service and finance the maintenance, improvement and operation of the platform, an advertising model is used in the mobile application, if you do not want to see and / or listen to advertising while you enjoy the courses, you will have to pay the Premium account , in addition to other functionalities focused on personalization and new tools and exercises for the effective learning of a new language.
8. Thirdparty services
In no case Sounter stores, modifies, partially or totally treats the videos transferred by YouTube. All the videos that are viewed in our web and mobile application are provided directly by the YouTube video platform through its built-in player (Embeddable Player).
For more information, consult your terms of service and data privacy:
Sounter uses and has created a client of the Genius API (API Client), through the API requests are made of the resources described below: annotations, songs, artists and search.
Sounter uses the Firebase platform for the back-end service, which has a series of tools for developing applications: storing and synchronizing data in the cloud, measuring user behavior and solutions to monetize products.
8.4 Google Ads
Sounter uses the Google Ads service to offer sponsored advertising to potential advertisers. Google Ads sponsored ads appear in the web and mobile application together with or after the practices developed in each course.
All our services are not aimed at people under 10 years, under any circumstances we consciously collect personal data from people under 10 years.
If you are under 10 years old, you should not use Sounter. If you are a parent or representative of a child under 10, do not allow him to use Sounter.
11. Modifications to this Policy
Sounter may modify this Policy when there are new legal provisions or changes that need to be made. In this case, we will inform you of the changes by updating the date at the top of the Policy, available on the website and in the mobile application.